RG Son’s Week Off

Posted on Friday 10 December 2010

My son does a fair amount of writing of his own, so I thought I’d share his take on a recent visit to the land of all things “southernmost.”

The Southernmost Tourist Line
by RG Son

I took a little trip down to South Florida a few weeks ago to visit my mom who resides on “The Rock,” aka somewhere along Route 1 in the Keys. I flew into Lauderdale, and having never been all the way south, she suggested we start our trip in Key West. A short four-hour journey down was a great time to catch up on all things life, and by the time we got to KW we were both excited to take in some relaxing warmth via beaches and booze.

Like traveling anywhere in the Keys, you have to drive over a number of bridges to hop from rock to rock. Going to Key West, however, means you get to travel over the 7 Mile Bridge. Supposedly there is a 7 Mile Bridge run every year…it’s now on my bucket list…

7mile.jpg

7mile2.jpg

7mile3.jpg

Southernmost Life

Key West, of course, is located in Monroe County, the southernmost county in the United States. Thus, everything down there is the southernmost of its kind.

The Southernmost Queen Anne windows

southwindow.jpg

The truly Southernmost House

southhousesign.jpg`

The southernmost bar

southbar.jpg

The southernmost slot machine on a porch

southslot.jpg

The southernmost fresh squeezed OJ

oj.jpg

The southernmost delicious eggs benny

eggs.jpg

The southernmost mile marker…and likely the southernmost Bockfest t-shirt

mm0.jpg

My favorite though, is the southernmost point. A mere 90 miles from Castro’s cigars, people stand in what I have dubbed the southernmost tourist line to take a picture at the southernmost monument.

southline.jpg

Or they do what I did, sit on the wall in front and get a picture with someone else’s family behind you…southernmost jackass? Maybe….

jtsthpt.jpg

The southernmost little boy with his mama! Love You!

jtmom3.jpg

15 Comments for 'RG Son’s Week Off'

Shannon
    December 10, 2010 | 4:36 pm

Whoa – you actually posted a picture?! Looks great and I hope you had a fabulous time with RG Son!

December 10, 2010 | 5:02 pm

MARVELOUS, sugarpies! absolutely marvelous. xoxoxo

December 10, 2010 | 5:17 pm

Shannon–Ha! Nah, just some random stand-in southernmost stranger 🙂

Savannah–It was definitely a marvelous time!

December 10, 2010 | 6:11 pm

Great looking pair of Souternmost strangers in the last pic 🙂

L
    December 10, 2010 | 8:39 pm

what a beautiful proud mama and her adorable son!

L
    December 10, 2010 | 8:42 pm

P.S. enjoyed the photos and little tour. And yes, the son is a natural writer and “image artist” with a delightful style, just like his momma (thinking about his comment on the blog “a kiss goodbye).

Bob C
    December 10, 2010 | 11:09 pm

OMG! Now I think I have to hate you. A brilliant writer in a gorgeous package! (You’ll have to re-write that for me.) Your great guy is very lucky!

December 11, 2010 | 1:31 am

Kim–I know! And they were so nice to let us use their photo.

L–You are very nice to say so. “Image artists”–I like that.

Bob C–Haha. Why would I ever want to rewrite something that describes me as “brilliant” and “gorgeous” (and I think you exaggerate the gorgeous part–we were a tad hungover and sleep deprived from the fun, fun evening the night before)?

And thanks to South Florida Daily Blog for the shout out. Love that you said I “revealed” myself, “finally. ” Guess I should just post a photo of me and pups on the site’s homepage, yes? Seriously, thank you, as always, for recognizing my writing–and now RG Son’s.

December 11, 2010 | 6:58 am

Very nice to be finally able to put a face to the writing. I’m glad you and your son had such a nice day. That’s a rare treasure.

December 11, 2010 | 10:48 am

Bob Bishopric–It was a great day that continued for several more throughout the Keys and back in Lauderdale. I am very lucky to have two wonderful kids.

Craig
    December 11, 2010 | 8:23 pm

JT…it’s good to hear from you…and my favorite pics is with you and the B-terriers.

December 13, 2010 | 6:55 pm

Finally, all of you in pictures – kind of how I imagined. Thanks.
    Nice looking boy..

December 15, 2010 | 1:20 pm

What a cutie! I mean, what a pair of cuties!!! Have a lovely holiday and thanks for another year of stellar prose.

gabrielle
    December 15, 2010 | 2:03 pm

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, RG. He has a way with words too.

AStafford
    December 16, 2010 | 2:24 pm

Ummm….Nice post; just wondering what the good folks in Hawaii might think of it, though. You might want to visit the southernmost anything in the U.S. some time. It would be the county of Hawai’i, in the state of Hawai’i, which is, contrary to what some birthers believe, actually part of the United States.