Stats, Lies, and All the Rest

Posted on Friday 8 October 2010

On Wednesday, October 14, 2009, Restaurant Gal reached an all-time high of page views–850-plus in a single day. I have no idea why. I have no idea if RG surpassed that number in prior years before I kept stats. I do know that it matters not so much. One day, 437 people peek in, and several peruse the archives; on another, 89 folks read my latest post, and no one cares a bit to peruse what was posted the week before. Again, I have no clue why.

And in many ways, I care a little; but just as much, I don’t care a lot.

For almost five years I have anonymously posted my stories, some being more personal than others, all crafted out of a labor of love for an activity–writing–that has been the one thing I have always found to be an incredible release, incredibly satisfying and absolutely as natural as breathing.

On the one hand, I envy one of the best writers and photographers out there–Kim Ayres–who posts beautifully constructed writing and equally captivating photos–all under his real name, no secrets from which to hide.

I have toyed with “outting” myself more than once over the years. Hell, back in D.C. I was very much outted one year, but it didn’t seem to matter to anyone; well, except it did matter a great deal to my employer at the time, and I faced what seemed to be a serious moral and agonizing personal choice to make–keep writing RG as I always had, or quit.

I quit. The job, that is. I would have quit, anyway. I sucked at the job I had been given as assistant manager, although I know I did well for the restaurant in other ways. Hell, I can book private dining space like no one else on this planet. Seriously.

Thus, today, as I had my third recent freelance article accepted by one of several publications in the non-blog world, I suddenly wondered, what would it be like to just post on RG as me. Just me. After all, writing this blog has kept my writing sharp and quick. Without it, how could I have pounded out these three articles in such short and concise fashion?

What would it really be like to say, “Here’s who I am, here’s where I live and work. Welcome to my written world.” Would I suddenly have 850 readers every day? Would my suddenly public blog help me to broaden my published writing credentials? Would any of that work well for me business-wise?

Of course, I had to laugh at myself at that point in my thoughts. Really? You, I said to myself, you really think the 89 people who found you last Tuesday actually wonder about who you really are? As an aside, I always ponder these seemingly important issues as I run three or four miles down the Old Road with head phones plugged into my ears blaring the best of all the music I consider “mine.”

So tell me, my 89 or 850 readers? Does it matter whether you know me or not? Would you miss me tomorrow if my anonymous writing went missing next week? Would you care less–or more–if you could put a real name to my face?

Really. I’m just curious.

60 Comments for 'Stats, Lies, and All the Rest'

October 15, 2010 | 7:35 pm

Yes, I would miss your posts.To me, you’re on a journey and after all the twists and turns you’ve taken, I’m curious to see where your next bend in the road takes you.

As to your name, I don’t see that it matters. I also have been writing anonymously on my own blog for over a year now. When I started I wanted to keep the blog separate from the rest of my life. But lately I’ve been having second thoughts about that…

amber
    October 17, 2010 | 11:08 am

RG, Sorry I am only responding now, I’ve had a very sick toddler all week. I am also sorry if I insinuated in any way that your writing is flawed because It was not my intention. What I meant was that sometimes you leave out details (that you might feel are too personal to post and that it your absolute right.) I want to know the details because after all these years of following your blog, I sometimes feel like you are an old girlfriend (and I am totally rooting for your success in all aspects of your life, btw!) and not just a blogger/stranger I didn’t meet on the internet. ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t think of any examples now because my head seems tobe in a fog, but I will think about it and email you.

October 17, 2010 | 1:52 pm

Amber–Quite the opposite of an insult! I really found your comment incredibly interesting and thoughtful because of the “half story” perception. Hope that baby is feeling better. I remember the toddler “fog” feeling like it was yesterday.

Art
    October 17, 2010 | 3:43 pm

RG, keep on doing what you’re doing. I found you through Waiterrant years ago, don’t exactly recall when, but you were still in DC at the time. You have an interesting perspective of life and the people in your corner of the world that seems to bring it all to life. “Time to Savor the Blossoms” is my all time favorite. Right there you captured a slice of life few ever see because they simply aren’t paying attention. You saw it, wrote about it and I thank you for that.

Art

October 17, 2010 | 7:44 pm

Art–Appreciate that. And that post you mentioned–I think about that man on that one day every day.

L.–Thank you.

Ranx–Good points. Anon. for now.

Brave Astronaut–Hey fellow D.C. blogger. Oh, who knows? I ran into just about everyone I knew and didn’t know when I worked in several DC restaurants. We could well have crossed paths.

gabrielle–Yep. Points all well taken.

angela–Chucking it all and starting over is great, but it comes with lots of homesickness that you finally have to recognize as the part of life you never chucked and never will.

savvysavingbytes–Yes, lots of twists and turns. I have no idea what’s next. I kind of live a week at a time, at least in terms of my location. This Keys stuff-what a love/hate relationship!

College Student
    October 25, 2010 | 5:33 pm

Great blog!

I am a senior in college and for my senior capstone class a team and I are making a business plan. We would like your input on the topic of meat quality. Please take 2 or 3 minutes and complete our survey: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/393549/Survey-of-Meat-Quality-CONSUMERS

Thank you very much for your help!

maureen
    October 26, 2010 | 4:04 pm

I don’t care who you are as long as you keep on writing. Ilook forward to your posts

October 31, 2010 | 3:52 am

Hey RG- I don’t read as often as I used to- but when I do- I gobble up every post I’ve missed, and want for more.
    I’m busier lately- the tot, tween & teen see to that- and there’s work, yadayada.
    The thing is- I keep coming back to one of my favorite places – and everytime I do

October 31, 2010 | 3:54 am

And every time I do, I remember how much I’ve missed you and the would you share.
    ๐Ÿ™‚
    – & reading & commenting from my phone is just a pain in tbd buttocks!

June 30, 2014 | 11:46 am

If you have any doubts that the hired contractor can help yourestablishment go green and clean record at all
    times.