Apples to Oranges or Raspberries to Plums

Posted on Saturday 7 November 2009

I have been driving to and fro quite frequently these past few weeks: to my new Key to find a place to live, sign a lease, and generally try to get the feel for my new “home;” fro my old and soon-to-be former Key, where I still work a thousand hours a week, haven’t packed, and can’t quite believe this phase of adventure is over.

One cannot help but compare:

Old Key: One main road
New Key: Neighborhoods and streets with sidewalks

Old Key: Quiet, except for the fish
New Key: Quiet for a few minutes a day, say around 6 a.m.

Old Key: Locals, locals, locals
New Key: Tourists, tourists, tourists

Old Key: Beautiful, spacious new house for semi-reasonable rent
New Key: Adorable, renovated shoebox for ridiculous rent

Old Key: Where everyone knows your name
New Key: Where only my new manager and a friend of a friend know my name

Old Key: Drive everywhere
New Key: Walk everywhere

Old Key: So many stray cats
New Key: So many stray cats

Old Key: Bus tours passing through town
New Key: Walking and trolly tours all around town

Old Key: Spring break madness, holiday weekend frenzy
New Key: A different festival or major event every week, it seems

Old Key: Easy parking anywhere
New Key: Park?

Old Key: Gated, hidden driveways
New Key: Gated, white picket fences

Old Key: Beautiful sunsets
New Key: Sunset celebrations

Old Key: Travel north to go to “civilization”
New Key: Can’t go any further south

Old Key: Hard to say goodbye to some very good people
New Key: Hard to start over, but what an interesting path to such an interesting place that seems to have chosen me

9 Comments for 'Apples to Oranges or Raspberries to Plums'

November 7, 2009 | 9:47 am

well there’s little point on moving somewhere else if it’s exactly the same ๐Ÿ™‚

November 7, 2009 | 10:07 am

finally hit key west, rg? hope you love it there, even if it is tourist season year round — with any luck, they won’t drive you totally up the wall! =) it’s one of my favourite places, i usually head there once every few years.

November 7, 2009 | 10:39 am

home is where you hang your hat!

all the best to you in the new digs, sugarpie! ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 7, 2009 | 8:56 pm

Oh, wow, RG. If it’s Key West, I don’t know what to say. I have a love/hate relationship with Key West. So touristy. So fun. So commercial. Every store has the same thing at the same price, like one person owns all stores and has a monopoly. The restaurants are mediocre. But, it’s so fun. And the best sunsets out there. Mixed bag, but could be great fun. I’ve always said it’s a great place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there. Now, I’ll find out vicariously through you. Good luck, my friend!

Chris
    November 7, 2009 | 10:21 pm

Haven’t been to Key West since I met my husband some 15 years ago, but sounds like it’s changed. Pier House still there? How about the emerald shop on Duval?

a
    November 8, 2009 | 9:31 am

Please don’t take this comment badly, because I do really enjoy your blog…..

But sometimes you don’t give enough information! sometimes your fans wanna a little more information! I know too much would be an invasion of privacy…but just a little more?

Good luck in your new endeavor!

November 9, 2009 | 5:16 pm

My goodness, so many adventures!

Angie
    November 9, 2009 | 7:07 pm

Key West is one of my favorite places in the world. I’ve only visited (like everyone else) and am very interested to know what it’s like to live there. Cool, have a good time.

November 20, 2009 | 12:28 am

Here’s to a new adventure– & if it chose you- here’s to you having the courage to give it a go!