Climbing Back Up

Posted on Monday 23 March 2009

I went back to work at the bar today.

It was a slow Monday day shift.

I poured beer just fine. In all else, I didn’t suck.

I am still clumsy and slow, but I will get this…I think.

The manager watched me like a hawk all day. He says he needs me to fill out employment paperwork and learn to cook simple food at lunch (!!??).

I am quietly toasting myself that I didn’t run like the wind after Friday night, as tempted as I was to do so.

Okay. It’s okay.

9 Comments for 'Climbing Back Up'

Thomas
    March 23, 2009 | 7:40 pm

I bet you a donut that you got points for not melting down and not complaining.

Good job. ๐Ÿ™‚

kat
    March 23, 2009 | 8:52 pm

Your last couple of blog posts have resonated with me so much, after bar tending throughout the time I was at uni and living alone I gave it up in favour of a ‘proper job’ and moved home when my family needed me, the daily drudge got to me about 6 months ago and I moved on to a part time job managing a dive centre here in the UK (nowhere near the water which is interesting at times), and am currently looking for a second job, probably bar work to boost my income past ‘breaking even’. The idea of getting back behind a bar scares me even after a break as short as 2 years, I only hope I can come out of my first couple of shifts feeling as comfortable with my work as you seem to. Well done on getting back in there after the previous shift RG!!

Sarah
    March 24, 2009 | 12:17 am

You go girl. Good for you. I love your blog and love following your “adventure” through life. I am really wondering and look forward to hearing if you really have to be a cook to continue being the bartender!

March 24, 2009 | 7:54 am

Thomas–Oh if only I could have a donut (pesky gluten allergy, you know), but I am merely hanging in there and hoping it works out.

Kat–You will be fine, as I’m sure you know. Every new job is scary no matter how much experience you have–new is scary for the first day, maybe the first week. Then one settles down. It’s when your experience is nil and it’s new and expectations were exaggerated that it can all implode so fast!

Sarah–Oh, I think I will be frying wings and slinging burgers soon. Good Lord!

Laurie
    March 24, 2009 | 9:25 am

RG, I think you did amazing by going back with your head held high. Not sure I could have done that after being treated that way. Here’s the thing though – the manager sounds like a real D-bag . What kind of boss treats someone in that way on their first day??? Even when you went back and did well, you’d think maybe he’d be nicer and a little more respectful… but it just seems like he is one of those unpleasant, unpleasable people….

What happened at the waitressing gig? None of my business, but seemed like you were happen there until the super-noob “supervisor” swooped in.

March 24, 2009 | 12:15 pm

A bartender that also cooks? What kind of place is that?

But I’m sure you’ll do well.

March 24, 2009 | 9:41 pm

Laurie–The manager is actually just fine. Remember, he thought I had much more recent experience than I did. He was pretty nice today, actually. I am still waitressing at the dive place, too. I think days off are underrated…. ๐Ÿ™‚

Joe–Trust me, it’s simple bar food. But yeah, only in my world, of course.

Thomas
    March 25, 2009 | 6:30 pm

There’s a few bars I’ve been to here in Milwaukee where the bartenders also cook.

March 26, 2009 | 1:45 pm

Good for you! it’s hard at times, but you’ll have a great time once you get the hang of it ๐Ÿ™‚