New Digs

Posted on Tuesday 22 July 2008

I am moving on Thursday. I can’t wait. But I am also nervous about tackling a new beginning, again, even if it is only a couple of miles away. Because it feels like a world away. Okay, maybe only half a world. Regardless, I have pushed through most of the packing, thanks to my neighbor’s help, and what’s left is not all that much. Which left some time tonight to ponder the old vs. new.

New Place–Valet parking

Old Place–Threaten to have pick-ups towed when stupid guys in the building next door park in my space.

New Place–“We can show you a model, but we can’t violate the privacy of the current tenant of the apartment you will be renting.”

Old Place–Disgusting pig of a landlord continues to come into my apartment when I am not home. Seriously, he must know every color of every pair of underwear I own.

New Place–Continental breakfast served every morning in a common area.

Old Place–Can’t make coffee with water from the tap because it is yellow and foul tasting.

New Place–Views of Intracoastal and mega yachts and a pool with fountains.

Old Place–Views of revolting new neighbors in our courtyard pool–neighbors who think allowing their children to swim in their clothing is quite proper. Then they jump in after them, fully dressed as well, after tossing their lit cigarettes into the once blue water. Oh, and then there is Unit 3, the residents of whom think that letting their pit bull swim and pee in the pool is hilarious.

New Place–Security gate, key-fob entry, 24-hour everything else.

Old Place–Given that my place is open and available for entry 24/7 on the whim of my landlord….

New Place–Private balcony with room for chairs and a table

Old Place–Common front balcony/walkway and railings from which we all hang towels and clothing just to annoy our pig of a landlord.

New Place–Walk to the beach

Old Place–Drive to the beach

New Place–Don’t know anyone there, but hope to meet new folks.

Old Place–Leaving behind some funky, fun, and dear friends.

New Place–Can’t wait.

Old Place–Can’t believe it’s been a year.

20 Comments for 'New Digs'

Suz
    July 23, 2008 | 2:53 am

A year already, RG!! WOW! I’m glad you’re movin’ on up. Enjoy the new digs a whole bunch when you get there! ๐Ÿ™‚ YAY YOU!!

July 23, 2008 | 6:08 am

Hi RG

I didn’t try the raw bar at OEG. There was too much choice on the main menu to be honest and it was difficult to decide. I think there was a good veggie option as the kids ate everything on their plates, almost.

I can’t believe it’s been a year since you moved to FL. Amazing eh? You must have a good tan by now. I hope you’ve got good sunscreen though.

Your Old Place/New Place blog has given me an idea. How about writing an Old RG/New RG blog? Just a thought.

I hope you have a stress free move and I’m sure you’ll make lots of friends.

Andy
    London UK
    xx

July 23, 2008 | 6:09 am

PS You could also write a DC RG/FL RG blog.

I’m on a roll. Want any more ideas? hehehe x

July 23, 2008 | 7:06 am

That new place sounds amazing! Hope it’s as fantastic as it sounds! ๐Ÿ™‚

philosopherP
    July 23, 2008 | 7:18 am

Good for you! We spent 5 years in our version of your first place — and LOVE the improved digs this year… and, you can always visit the old friends :).

Mike
    July 23, 2008 | 8:22 am

RG, enjoy your new place — it sounds awesome, especially being so close to the beach…

July 23, 2008 | 8:42 am

Movin’ on Up! To that deluxe apartment in the sky! Congrats on the upgrade. It looks like things are looking up.

Dustin
    July 23, 2008 | 8:55 am

Probably New Place Rent = 2X Old Place Rent, but I learned (the hard way) that sometimes (most of the time) it’s worth it. Best of luck at your new place!

Angie
    July 23, 2008 | 9:44 am

Heaven, you’re moving to heaven.

Rose Royce
    July 23, 2008 | 9:50 am

Yeah!!! Hope it’s even better than you think it is right now!

July 23, 2008 | 9:58 am

It sounds like you’re graduating! Love the new place already! ๐Ÿ™‚

July 23, 2008 | 1:26 pm

Awesome! So much stress comes from being in bad surroundings. That new place sounds truly grand!

July 23, 2008 | 1:47 pm

Valet parking? Continental breakfasts? Sounds more like a luxury hotel than an apartment.

So this is how the other half lives is it?

๐Ÿ™‚

Lex
    July 23, 2008 | 5:42 pm

How exciting! I almost asked how you had the energy to do a local move — but then I read this post and I so get it!

The only thing that would motivate me to move from my current OK, clean, reasonably priced place in a great neighborhood is a free place with abundant privacy or a move across country paying half the cost of living and making the same salary.

So I stay put and wait.

MenSuck
    July 23, 2008 | 10:28 pm

Wow the new place does sound fantastic!! No need for you to leave all your funky old “neighbor friends” behind right? I sort of like the neighbor girl that your wrote about a few times. She seemed like she was good for you and interesting to read about too.

I am 100% you are going to meet some great new people in your new place and new friends. It sounds pretty classy and more like “you” than the old place… so who knows.

Tell us all about the new place once you move in too, but….take it easy because some of us are jealous!

Texas Fan
    July 24, 2008 | 10:22 am

Good for you RG.

Anny
    July 24, 2008 | 10:16 pm

I’m so glad to hear about this new place you’re moving to! Sounds like paradise ๐Ÿ™‚
    And by now you’re out of your old place and away from your creepy, intruding ex-landlord.

Cheers to you and Rouletta on your first night at your new place! And enjoy the nice breakfast in the morning (I am so totally jealous of that!!!)

Catherine
    July 25, 2008 | 12:10 am

I know you don’t know me but can I come visit ๐Ÿ™‚
    Congrats on the one year anniversary of being in Florida. I have been following you for about a year now and Love your blog. Hope you and the dog love the new place ๐Ÿ™‚

knitgirl
    July 25, 2008 | 11:05 am

Hope the move went well, looking forward to hearing about the new place and new neighbors. It sounds like just what you needed.

Lisa
    July 25, 2008 | 4:43 pm

Wow – your new place sounds like where I’d love to go on vacation (and the old place sounds more like what I can afford lol)
    Best of luck in the new place!!