Doing the Unthinkable

Posted on Monday 28 January 2008

It’s bad enough that I took Rouletta on a dinner date to an outdoor cafe, right? Would you say it’s also ridiculous that she later sat at an outdoor bar with me and the date? Regardless, it was that evening that I noticed she shivers when it gets chilly.

So, I did it. I bought clothing for my dog.

Wait, it gets worse. I realized halfway through our walk this morning I had truly crossed over–we were both wearing red sweatshirts.

roured.jpg

It gets even worse than that.

Someone walking his dog commented to us about being twins. Imagine my horror.

Next time the temperature dips below 60 degrees, I’ll dress her in her pink sweat suit–I don’t own any pink outerwear.

roupink.jpg

22 Comments for 'Doing the Unthinkable'

m
    January 28, 2008 | 10:55 am

Rouletta has hit the jackpot – a mom who is totally besotted with her! She sure has cute nailed down. As long as she doesn’t have matching hat or nail polish, you’re not over the line.

Quick story: A small dog in our neighborhood was walked while wearing a black and yellow striped sweater. At first I thought someone was walking their bumblebee. Quite a sight!

Ali
    January 28, 2008 | 12:45 pm

Lol, that’s great.

Kat
    January 28, 2008 | 1:05 pm

*laughs* I always read your blog, but I don’t often comment. But this…well, we have 9 dogs, and 8 cats. This winter my mum’s puppy ( a shnowzer (i have no clue how to spell it)) couldn’ go outside because her feet would freeze. So she also crossed over…boots. She bought our dog boots…thankfully only that one so far

January 28, 2008 | 1:16 pm

She is too cute! I can’t even handle it! I adore that you got her hoodies!

Andrew
    January 28, 2008 | 2:46 pm

HA! You live in SOUTH FLORIDA! How cold could it be!!!? You crack me up!

January 28, 2008 | 2:54 pm

Now that was funny. matching outfits. I’d paid to have seen that.

January 28, 2008 | 3:01 pm

Awwwww…that’s just too cute! I love the pink one! My dog also has a wardrobe. Hubby just rolls his eyes, but I know the dog appreciates it!

January 28, 2008 | 3:13 pm

GAAAAAA so snhufflable!! Ee!
    And I think.. possibly, in a way the guy meant it as a complement when he said you looked like twins?

January 28, 2008 | 3:53 pm

Just discovered the blog. Love it. I am now a SFloridian for 2 1/2 years from up north…and in the food business…really appreciate the views to the inside…and love the New Year’s resolutions (catching up…)

b

January 28, 2008 | 4:53 pm

Like Andrew, I’m wondering if South Florida really gets cold enough to warrant doggie clothing. Don’t get me wrong – Rouletta looks adorable and if she was shivering then maybe she needed the sweater. I’m just glad that sweet little pup isn’t experiencing the weather I am today. We’ve reached our forecast high of -29C, although with the wind chill it feels like -47 (and no, that’s NOT a typo). I’ve whined all about it over on my blog. Feel free to check it out and have a good laugh at my expense.

January 28, 2008 | 7:33 pm

I’ve never seen more dogs dressed than in SoFla. Of course, that could be because there seem to be four dogs for every one human.

Matching sweaters. That’s funny. Cute pup.

Anny
    January 28, 2008 | 8:24 pm

I’m so happy you decided to get Rouletta, I had wanted to comment on one of your earlier posts but didn’t get around to it.

As a fellow Boston terrier owner I can’t recommend this breed enough for most of people’s (or family) needs. They are such a wonderful breed, very intelligent, playful and sweet and impossible not to fall in love with ๐Ÿ™‚ As you are now experiencing, yay!

Another great trait of Boston terriers is that they travel very well. Mine have always been happy to tag along with me no matter where and behave beautifully while out and about. My Bobby used to love taking the bus or train with me, especially if there was enough room for him to have his own seat next to me he would be glowing. He always sat perfectly still and never disturbed anyone but he would beg other passengers with his eyes to come over and pet him (which always worked of course).

Mine wear coats when it’s cold out and we’re out a while but I live way up north in Canada where it’s actually cold ๐Ÿ˜‰ hehe

Glad both of you are having fun together

January 28, 2008 | 8:53 pm

NO COMMENT……

January 28, 2008 | 11:16 pm

m–Never the nail polish! Of course, I said I would NEVER have a dog dressed in clothes!

Ali–haha indeed.

Kat–That’s a lot of cats and dogs!! But, see, to me the boots make sense. I plan to get a raincoat for Rouletta. Yeah, I am definitely on the other side.

Christine–I know. The hoods are too funny.

Andrew–Cold enough that she shivers in the night air!

Augs–I was in my Miami U. sweatshirt and she was in the only sweatshirt I bought for her. Red and red. How could I?

Raven–A girl always likes to look put together.

YoYo–He was clearly NOT complimenting us. He just felt he had to say something, I guess. Very funny, though.

Barb–Welcome! Thanks for catching up on past posts. As for the New Year’s resolutions, haven’t seen Jimmy since. Ha!

Canadian Girl–Yikes, I know your summers are glorious, but yikes, that’s COLD!

Scott–I know, what have I become??? I love your site, by the way. Thanks for wandering over my way.

Anny–They are the sweetest breed, and Rouletta is so well trained that she is my ideal pal. She loves the car, as well.

Ex RM–Now, now! Love me, love my dog–clothing and all!

Angie
    January 29, 2008 | 12:58 am

So cute. I think she really looks good in red, but of course, pink looks fetching on any girl.

Annapolitan
    January 29, 2008 | 1:57 am

Gosh, I don’t think there’s anything silly at all about a short-haired dog wearing clothes when it’s chilly outside. Short haired breeds need to be kept warm.

When my brother got a dachshund puppy, we noticed that he shivered when we took him outside for his pee breaks. We grabbed a couple of old tube socks, cut some holes and made him his first sweater.

Now, as a senior citizen, he gets hand-knit and hand-sewn outfits by yours truly. He especially loves polar fleece and wears it inside during cold weather, as he is a little arthritic and it keeps his joints warm.

Rouletta is adorable. You go, girl!

January 29, 2008 | 11:06 am

Our eldest daughter has our first grand-doggy — a long-haired Chihuahua. I hand-sewed her little ruffled dresses when she was a tiny pup. This year I bought her a Christmas sweater and a lambs wool/suede coat for Christmas, for heaven’s sake! She has worn one or the other every day. She, too, shivers when she goes outside to pee.

Have fun with her!

January 29, 2008 | 12:00 pm

the dog is gonna grow up to hate you…….

January 29, 2008 | 4:20 pm

You have got to be kidding me. Do you have your doggy seat yet? For when she rides in the car? Haha

Julie
    January 30, 2008 | 12:55 am

Even though I think it’s strange, I think dogs are so cute when they’re dressed up.

As far as matching clothes… umm… that should best be avoided. I know it’s inevitable sometimes; I can’t even count on how many times my old roommate and I would walk out of the house wearing almost the same thing. (Luckily, we didn’t work together, so it was only an issue when we’d go to brunch on the weekend.)

February 2, 2008 | 10:54 am

Thank you so much for the giggle. This is hilarious.

February 15, 2008 | 4:25 am

Gal…first of all, I’ve missed your writing. Clicking on your link made me smile.

In regards to this post.

I’m praying for you and your dog. I might even send some Holy Water. Seriously. That’s just….wrong. ๐Ÿ™‚