Working Gal’s Holiday

Posted on Friday 23 November 2007

It’s true, I had to work today, Thanksgiving.

It is also true, I felt like I had the day off, for part of the day, anyway.

Afterward, when I think I could have run some more, I didn’t, and instead, I unfolded my beach chair, and listened to music as I looked out at the ocean for a long, long time as I sat very still.

I took a handful of photos. I didn’t care that I missed the one of the cute toddler dressed all in red, including a red hat.

I did not get sunburned. I got something no one should call “healthy color.”

Back home in my apartment, I fought with, and lost, setting up a gmail chat with someone.

I tried to pack for a quick overnight to D.C. tomorrow, and felt quite stumped about what cold-weather clothing to pack.

I had a fine night at work at the podium, despite glitches, because I was back on the floor during a night shift.

I remembered that I will work nights again soon enough, although not soon enough for me.

I ate turkey and had a couple of glasses of wine with the staff. But I didn’t stay long. I just didn’t. I just couldn’t.

I reminded myself to remember that I have to remember that my GM has asked me to feed his cat while he is away for a few days, and to do the banks–yet another new administrative chore that feels like mapping Mars, to me.

I went home. I felt sad for a bit.

I packed.

I remembered to give thanks for the good. I remembered to give myself permission to feel sad, when I do.

I gave many, many thanks, through a few tears.

I need to thank someone, for sure, for this view of someone else’s picnic that presented itself directly in front of my beach chair, on this Thanksgiving. Because today I was, after all, where I have chosen to be.

coolers.jpg

10 Comments for 'Working Gal’s Holiday'

November 23, 2007 | 7:27 am

((hugs))

November 23, 2007 | 7:43 am

If it make you smile, I’ll be thinking of you during the KU/MU game..

KU fans gotta stick together and I hope you find 1 or 2 down wherever you are..

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!

😉

November 23, 2007 | 10:00 am

I found myself thinking about you and my other blogging friends yesterday. As I noted on my blog, I am thankful for many things. I hope that you continue to find the things you seek and that happiness is but a few steps away.

Spending that time on the beach is certainly a good start. And be sure to pack your woolies for this weekend. It’s cold up here.

November 23, 2007 | 10:12 am

[…] The Daily Galaxy: News from Planet Earth & Beyond wrote an interesting post today!.Here’s a quick excerpt Its true, I had to work today. It is also true, I felt like I had the day off, for part of the day, anyway. I slept in. I got dressed when I felt like it, and I then went for a long, long run along the sidewalk that stretches forever along the beach. Afterward, when I think I could have run some more, I didnt, and instead, I unfolded my beach chair, and listened to music as I looked out at the ocean for a long, long time as I sat very still. I took a handful of photos. I didnt care that […]

November 23, 2007 | 1:35 pm

I stumbled across your blog a few days ago–and I’m really enjoying your writing. Thanks especially for the beach photo today. It makes my heart ache for south TX while I’m shivering up here in IL.

November 23, 2007 | 6:17 pm

RG – It’s so true that if we don’t give thanks for what we have, we don’t deserve it. Grab it, own it, blog about it 🙂

November 23, 2007 | 8:13 pm

Beautiful photo of the beach! I can just about imagine the warm sun and the cool breeze – I’m glad this was a part of your day.

Hugs!

November 23, 2007 | 10:40 pm

Um… you packed? Are you re-re-locating?

November 23, 2007 | 11:41 pm

Kim–Right back attacha.

Junior–I fear I will miss the game because I will be on a plane going back to FLL. I am so upset about this!

Brave Astronaut–Thank you, and I can’t help but believe happiness is already here. I just have to make it happen.

Somersky–Welcome! Read back a bit to get the whole picture. Happy to hear from you.

Ex-RM–So glad to hear from you. Done

Jali–It was the best part of my day–most days, in fact.

Sharon–I packed for an overnight to colder DC. Nothing more.

November 24, 2007 | 1:45 pm