Food Groups

Posted on Wednesday 28 November 2007

Is wine considered to be a member of a food group–you know, fruit?

Are fries more than just a greasy, salty starch? Could they be viewed as, say, a vegetable?

If both of the above constitute the bulk of one’s daily intake, and on Tuesday one gorges out on heaping bowls of salad, can that salad count toward the rest of the week’s vegetable allotment?

And will the answers to these questions allow me to answer this daily question from guests: “How do you stay so thin working in a restaurant like this?”

To which I can reply, “I stick to fruits and veggies.”

No lie.

10 Comments for 'Food Groups'

November 28, 2007 | 9:21 am

Great questions…and I think you’re on to something. My favorite is when people extoll the virtues of pizza, explaining that, individually, the main ingredients are extremely nutritious — even required eating to some (which, of course, would make me very healthy).

Peace,

– Dennis

November 28, 2007 | 9:34 am

By your reasoning, ketchup is a vegetable, as is chocolate (cocoa BEAN). I like the way you think, RG!

Julie
    November 28, 2007 | 10:35 am

Absolutely true, RG! 😉 And don’t forget chocolate bars have no calories when consumed with diet soda.

November 28, 2007 | 10:55 am

LOL @ Julie. That goes right along with my friend’s belief that beer has no calories unless consumed with food. Needless to say, this particular friend was drunk A LOT!

November 28, 2007 | 3:47 pm

I’ll pass on the veggies, but I love the fruit. Wait, can we fry the veggies? You know like a tempura?? ; )

November 28, 2007 | 6:11 pm

The wine is a necessary componant to a healthy (well, mental health) diet. Potatoes are THE essential food. I can do a Forrest Gump parody, “I can fry ’em, bake ’em, make a casserole, mash ’em, julienne ’em, stuff em…:”

I’ve been trying to make healthier choices, but…um… NEVER MIND.

Lex
    December 3, 2007 | 11:17 pm

Wine is definitely a food group. Duh? I have an aversion to potatoes I can not explain. if they all disappeared from the world today I’d hardly notice.

December 17, 2007 | 3:58 pm

Testing…testing….does this comment get emailed?

January 4, 2015 | 2:10 am

I am genuinely thankful to the owner of this site who has shared this enormous article
    at at this time.

January 7, 2015 | 3:18 am

It’s going to be finish of mine ɗay, Ƅut befߋre еnding I ɑm reading tɦіѕ impressive article tօ increase mʏ
    knowledge.