The Slow Learner Curve

Posted on Monday 16 October 2006

I ran food to the food critic’s table (Yes, he was in again tonight–third time in a week). He smiled and thanked me. I wasn’t even nervous. He’s actually very nice.

I made the elaborate surprise birthday a complete and total success–as in, we absolutely surprised her, and her significant other was thrilled with how well we executed the plan.

I passed last-minute hors d’oeuvres for 45 minutes to my private event people. They were so pleased about how their event came together, including the last-minute “tour” of the kitchen when one person asked to see the kitchen and all 15 guests followed (sorry Chef). At least I was able to herd them out again when five of the guests thought nursing cocktails in front of the dishwashing station was a good idea.

I am so over worrying about bussing tables. I just do it.

I didn’t spill a drop of the martinis that I carried on a tray to a table.

I deftly watered tables all evening.

I accepted a server’s notice and told her I appreciated her willingness to work this week’s schedule.

I trained a new host.

I tentatively booked another event for next week.

I marveled at how my brain was still semi-intact after a busy Monday (yeah, Monday!) and another 12-hour day.

I guess I am starting to get this manager thing.

I wish someone very near and dear to me had seen it.

We’d have raised a glass together to celebrate.

7 Comments for 'The Slow Learner Curve'

October 17, 2006 | 9:53 am

Sounds like you’re back on track, Gal. Keep up with that momentum.

October 17, 2006 | 11:25 am

Hah! I knew you could do it. ๐Ÿ˜€

LB
    October 17, 2006 | 3:22 pm

This is what I’ve been waiting for! I knew it was coming, but I could tell that you were starting to think your prospects were bleak. It’s easy to forget just how hard the beginning of a job is, but it’s always amazing when things just start to click. Good for you!

Suz
    October 18, 2006 | 12:56 am

I raised a glass of Riesling to you tonight! ๐Ÿ™‚ You go, girl!

October 18, 2006 | 6:49 pm

Here’s to the Gal!

October 18, 2006 | 11:21 pm

Yay! Good job! ๐Ÿ™‚ I wish i was always that confident ๐Ÿ™‚

LIR
    October 19, 2006 | 11:32 am

Good reading – glad to see you’ve got your groove back. Fingers crossed that the RestaurantCritic is kind to your restaurant and chef.

Sounds like you’ve been getting support from your GM – hope he gets support too and things work out for him.