Go West! ยป
I’ll Still Be Right Here

Posted on Wednesday 23 August 2006

I took the job.

The assistant manager job at the fine-dining place.

In the words of Ricky Ricardo, “Lucy, what have you done now?”

Well, I am confident it’s going to be great, terrific, unbelievable. That is, after I have read all the wine books, learned layers of fine-dining lingo, crammed for martini menu class, and remembered my seven years of high school and college French–at least for pronunciation’s sake.

Right, piece of cake–gateau.

Meanwhile, all I want to do is yammer on about all of this with Mr. Restaurant Gal and Restaurant Gal Daughter. “And then the manager asked this, and then I had to do that, and the chef is so nice, and the coffee guy showed up with samples, and…”

Meanwhile, all they want to yammer on about is what is for dinner at home (Restaurant Gal Daughter cooked up quite a feast tonight), about how this year college means Colorado and few visits home, about how pretty soon it’s empty nest time again.

“But I have to learn all this STUFF, and he’s a great chef, and he’ll be the talk of the town, and…”

“And, Mom, I’m gone in two days.”

So I stop talking. And listen.

She’s going far away from home for the first time in her life for an extended period of time–to a new college, to new friends, to new everything. She’s so nervous, so excited, so confident that all will work out fine–but still, will it?

It’s hard to leave home.

It’s hard to say goodbye.

Boy, do I get that.

Cheers to new our journeys, our new frontiers. My blog will continue as always. Who knows what new stories are yet to be told?

Even more, cheers to Restaurant Gal Daughter. I’ll always be right here for you.

9 Comments for 'I’ll Still Be Right Here'

August 24, 2006 | 1:38 am

Congratulations! You’ve got a lot of exciting times ahead, and I’m looking forward to reading about them. In a way, the timing’s a blessing, you’ll be so busy with the new job it will ease your transition from having RGD being so far away. P. S. Post a menu for this new place! P. P. S. E-mail me offline when you have a chance, please?

August 24, 2006 | 4:47 am

congrats on the new job!

Hostess Jo
    August 24, 2006 | 9:16 am

may your waitlist be alphabetical, your wine list fruity, and your desert cart level! good luck and best wishes in your new job!

Joe
    August 24, 2006 | 9:18 am

Congrats!

August 24, 2006 | 10:05 am

Congrats!

lisa
    August 24, 2006 | 12:38 pm

Congratulations Gal!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ Here’s to new adventures! Cheers!!!

August 24, 2006 | 2:20 pm

Congrads on the new job, I’ve been reading from the begining, I hope you continue to write about your (new) adventures. I will miss the front desk stories, though I imagine you’ll have new ones ๐Ÿ™‚

August 24, 2006 | 2:22 pm

Sounds like a fun igig. Having lived in Denver for nearly 25 years, I can assure you that your daughter will love going to school in this state.

Revan303
    August 27, 2006 | 10:39 am

Congrats on the new job… I am a new reader but enjoy your blog… So restaurant gals daughter is going to school in Colorado… Very nice out here and she will have tons to do… been living here her now for 3 years and loving every minute of it… She will be fine… any chance is she going to be at CU??? That is where I go and I love it…

take care!!