The Podium in Pictures

Posted on Sunday 30 July 2006

Restaurant Gal and Restaurant Gal Daughter proudly present

THE PODIUM IN PICTURES

Masterfully depicted as only Restaurant Gal Daughter’s Barbie collection can tell the tale.

Disclaimer: Restaurant Gal Daughter’s Barbie collection may not necessarily or accurately reflect the full range of ages, races, and hair styles of the host staff or of the restaurant’s customers. But it’s the best we could do!

hostgals.jpeg

Hi everyone! Restaurant Gal and Restaurant Gal Daughter welcome you to lunch!

daycrew.jpeg

We’re ready for the rush by 11:01 a.m. every weekday. It’s true, the guys on the host staff are allowed to go barefoot and dress as if they are going to the beach.

twoplease.jpeg

A personal favorite: The backhanded “Table for Two” gesture from a scary-looking customer.

booth.jpeg

Happily seated customers. Or are they? The customer on the left likes the table. Her friend wants a booth. The customer on the left is telling her friend to deal with the table. The friend is telling the customer on the left it’s not so easy to deal with the table and she should try fitting HER legs under the table. The customer on the left asks her friend if she wants to switch tables. The friend is telling the customer on the left it doesn’t matter. The customer on the left tells her friend she wants her to be comfortable. The friend is telling the customer on the left it didn’t seem like she cared so much about her comfort a second ago. Restaurant Gal is patiently waiting to tell both of them they better stay put or be prepared for an hour wait.

nightcrew.jpeg

Here’s the wacky night crew, ready for work an hour or so after their start time.

nightbrk.jpeg

The night crew likes to take a break. Couple of updates to note, however. One girl has been fired, one had her baby, and one hostess and one of the chefs are still an item.

love.jpeg

When you’re a hostess in love, you can sneak a kiss with the chef at the podium.

podium.jpeg

Restaurant Gal and Restaurant Gal daughter face the Friday frenzy at 12:15 p.m.

Contest questions for my readers after they carefully scrutinize this image:
1) How long is the wait for a table?
2) Who was there first?
3) Who claims to know the owner?
4) Who will say they have a reservation when they don’t?
5) Which three customers are regulars?

Hope you enjoyed this fun foray into THE PODIUM IN PICTURES!

25 Comments for 'The Podium in Pictures'

July 30, 2006 | 3:07 pm

Hey Mrs Gal, love the pictures! Hope you and Gal the Younger do this once evey few months … ๐Ÿ™‚

July 30, 2006 | 4:21 pm

This is awesome. Those pictures are just too funny!
    Here are some answers for you:
    1. 20 minutes.
    2. The chef was there first. He’s off duty but he just can’t get enough of this food.
    3. It’s the lady way in the back with her arm in the air. She’s saying, “I shouldn’t have to wait amongst all of this rifraf. I’m best friends with the owner!”
    4.The little guy up in the front is about to lie about having a reservation. He’s hoping his status as a “little person” will inspire pity or at least guilt you into not callng him on it.
    5. The black Barbie with the pink and white top, the redhead behind her and the one in the blue right behind her. They sort of look like they’re trying to do a conga line. They’re not waving their arms in the air at you. They’re just having a good time and they know Restaurant Gal is going to take good care of them. =)

Sha
    July 31, 2006 | 12:51 am

This was awesome. I look forward to more ‘Podium in Pictures’.

Sarah
    July 31, 2006 | 5:08 am

LMAO!!! I love it!

Maria
    July 31, 2006 | 9:10 am

Just too funny!! What a great way to give us more insight into your days!

July 31, 2006 | 9:20 am

very cute!

VV
    July 31, 2006 | 11:07 am

This was very funny. I am glad that my friends and I are not the only ones who have the perverse joy of occasionally playing out ridiculous scenarios with Barbie and friends. Get 20 or so adults, some beer, the calm after the storm of a child’s birthday party, and the sky’s the limit. So the night crew is not too swift, eh?

July 31, 2006 | 11:46 am

brilliant! many thanks for the show ๐Ÿ™‚

July 31, 2006 | 12:38 pm

That was awesome! Now I wish I’d saved all my daughters’ Barbie dolls.

Heidi
    July 31, 2006 | 2:40 pm

love It

July 31, 2006 | 2:57 pm

BIW X

I loved it!

July 31, 2006 | 3:59 pm

oh you liar liar pants on fire.

you took barbies clothes off and chefs clothes off, and then they went behind the couch and knocked the boots off the cat!!!

admit it.
    ๐Ÿ˜›

July 31, 2006 | 7:32 pm

Natalie–Thanks for answering the quiz questions. You are almost right on some…

VV–Barbies and beer. What could be better! As for the night crew, what makes you think they’re not too swift?

johnnyDc–Clearly, you have never played with Barbies! You only take their clothes off to change them into something even more awesome for the story you’re depicting…usually a wedding–or another scene at the podium!

–The Gal

August 1, 2006 | 10:36 am

Wow, RG – you have really held up well over the years.

August 1, 2006 | 12:49 pm

I hope you don’t mind that I forwarded this to all of my restaurant comrades. ; )

August 1, 2006 | 5:00 pm

Phil–Thanks, Phil! It’s the Milk-Duds-for-breakfast diet that allows me to keep my girlish–uh, Barbie–figure.

Saltymissjill–Forward to as many folks as you like. Who doesn’t like Barbie–Podium Princess!

echo
    August 2, 2006 | 12:13 am

This was terrific. I’m already looking forward to the next intstallment. :^)

August 2, 2006 | 12:26 am

Holy! That’s a lot of dolls! ๐Ÿ™‚

Brooke
    August 2, 2006 | 9:58 pm

That was great! In a way that I never thought Barbie stills would be.

August 3, 2006 | 8:56 am

One of the funniest (yet oddly enough somehow true and familiar) things I’ve seen in a while! ๐Ÿ™‚

CaGirl
    August 3, 2006 | 1:07 pm

RG:
    The best yet! I so needed a good laugh this morning! Really loved pregnant barbie and the followup! Hooray for Milk Duds!

anonymous
    August 5, 2006 | 2:05 am

When I first caught a glimpse of this post I thought “I’m just gonna scroll right past this one.” But, I read it, and I’m still smiling. TY.

August 7, 2006 | 5:03 am

if i had to guess i’d say:

1) based on # of clients still waiting = 45-60 min wait

i’ll go with Natalie on the rest.

LB
    August 9, 2006 | 4:51 pm

I can’t believe how behind I’ve fallen, but I HAD to comment. This is the best idea ever. I can’t wait to see a Barbie depiction of a Crazy Customer encounter.

PS I’m not sure I ever had as many Barbies as RG Daughter – no fair!

charli
    February 11, 2007 | 1:58 pm

hey, rg, is this based on a real experience? If so which one that is hilarious, I want to go, just to see if I can recognize the ppl, ha hah ah