The Circle Game

Posted on Friday 12 May 2006

A day of celebrations and milestones.

Several groups of girlfriends celebrating the final days at work for pregnant coworkers.

Multiple families pushing strollers, celebrating their first visits to my city.

So many college graduates, still wearing their black gowns, celebrating with so many proud parents.

Four happy-birthday lunches.

At least one office gathering to mark a retirement.

Dozens of police officers honoring their fallen comrades.

I greeted, smiled at, and managed 550-plus on this day. And it almost felt easy.

The hard part was keeping my focus as I wondered how my daughter was faring as she officially marked the end of her first year of college, and how my son was doing driving nine hours home alone–both against the sad and sudden backdrop that their beloved grandfather is gravely ill.

And how my husband was doing, facing the impending loss of his father.

Babies, families, graduations, birthdays, retirements, memorials.

“And the seasons, they go round and round. And the painted ponies go up and down.
We’re captive on the carousel of time.
We can’t return, we can only look behind from where we came,
And go round and round and round in the circle game.”

9 Comments for 'The Circle Game'

satori
    May 12, 2006 | 11:47 pm

how poignant…

May 13, 2006 | 11:44 am

Life’s bitterness mixed in with all the sweetness.

May 14, 2006 | 9:26 pm

Very well said… The yin and yang both come regardless of our desires.
    I’m very sorry to hear about you father-in-law’s condition. My thoughts are with you and your family.. Be Well..

Alex Henzel
    May 15, 2006 | 10:28 am

Happy Mothers Day restaurantgal. Your reference to Joni Mitchell’s “Circle Game” for some reason, made me feel a whole lot older than I feel, and took me back to the days when I was also in that biz. If I’m in your town, I’ll make sure to drop by. Hope you’re at the podium. God Bless.

May 15, 2006 | 3:38 pm

RG, I’m sorry for the loss of your Father in Law. Your family needs your strength, all of them.

Losing a parent is the Great Equaizer; we all have to go through it. I lost my parents almost 20 years back and miss them like it was yesterday. But we do reach a point in the grieving process where we find a way to cope with the pain.

Your son arrived just fine; I just know it. If he was like me at his age, nine hours is a piece of cake.

Jesse
    May 15, 2006 | 3:50 pm

Greetings from one hostess to another and compliments on your taste in music.

DivaM
    May 16, 2006 | 11:40 am

I really enjoy your blog…. you STILL are a writer =)

cagirl
    May 18, 2006 | 11:36 am

my favorite post so far….most likely the Joni connection – my favorite singer/song writer from our past. great writing. both of you.

auspicious
    July 27, 2006 | 11:33 pm

beautifully written! so very moving…..i love the way you write. lifes complications written so simply…